Monday, March 31, 2008

Roping the Wind

Chara has decided she wants to learn to rope. She has been roping a dummy calf for a few months and has been training her horse. Chas has an arena at his house and told her she could come and rope anytime she wanted, he would just have to plow it. So we went Sunday after church. Chas just about had it all plowed and he put us to work pulling sticker weeds. When that was done he got her a real calf to rope, she was excited.
She missed several times then started getting the hang of it. I learned how to run the chute the calf comes out of.
WAHOO she got him, she was a happy camper. We did this for hours. It got Chas in the mood to start roping again. He was a huge help to her, giving a lot of instruction. I appreciate him putting forth so much of his time and effort. I now know where my Sunday afternoons will be spent. I need to get some boots, flip flops aren't going to cut it.

7 comments:

Course of Perfection said...

Looks like a blast. This is how I used to spend my alot of my time. (spectating not participating) I love it. Something about horses & cattle make my family congregate. They even gather up when it's time to work the cows.

That kid looks like a natural-born cowgirl. Yee-haw!

Bag Blog said...

I have some great "calf and chute" stories from days running the chute for Bo. Remind me to tell you about roping over at your neighbor,Charlie's. Yes, get yourself some boots and take lots of photos so we can paint cowgirls.

Half Pint said...

Hmmmm you in boots...this I gotta see.

Buck said...

This subject is about as far from my area of expertise as it can get... but I like the pics!

Junk Diva said...

Cop: you will have to come sit with me and watch sometime.

Buck : Are you saying your not a cowboy?

Lou: Yes, a lot of pic's, maybe someday i will be able to paint a horse.

1/2 pint: I have boots. I have even worn them before. LOL

Inquiries said...

Great pictures. She graduated to the real calf how exciting.

Buck said...

Buck : Are you saying your not a cowboy?

Yep... and that's an understatement of massive proportions! No truck, no horse, no cattle, no ranch, no desire to acquire same. But I DO have a hat and boots, though.

Lou has given me her "stamp of approval" on my boots, FWIW. ;-)